Game Design – Week 11 – Updating Workflow – Mind Like Water

“‘Be shapeless and formless.. like water’ (Bruce Lee)” by Akinini.com is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

“Have a mind like water.”

― David Allen,  GTD

SUMMARY

in summary this week i practiced using the construct 3 engine, continued to learn how to code using javascript, and gained a better understanding of what makes us happy.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

I began working through the DOM and Events folder but got stuck during the second lesson, but i have learned that within the code there are 3 ways in which certain objects can be single out or extracted.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Construct.net
  • I learned that construct 3 has a game developing process similar to the website scratch which is that is using prebuilt blocks for the creator to use instead of having to manually create code, and that it runs in a browser which is very cool.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Screenshot from editor.construct.net
  • very simple easy to understand tutorial, overall i like this program

OUTSIDE (PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• Set a timer
  • Spend 30 minutes in this ‘room’
Image from bananatreelog.com

to maximize your daily dose of happiness you should take a cold shower, make a to-do list, eat, socialize, exercise, listen to music, among other things that make you happy.

STUDIO (CREATIVITY)

Screenshot from Construct Begginer’s Guide

What I created in construct was a game where instead of shooting enemies who are charging at you, you are the one who has to get close to them. the objective of the game is to survive as long as possible as defeat all the enemies but watch out because every 30 seconds a larger enemy will spawn and if you don’t defeat him before the next one spawns both enemies will be restored to full health (was a bug now its feature).

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

I learned that game development is not a easy, quick, or painless procedure the game I created be it basic still took me almost 3 hours to create including trying to fix bugs and improving small aspects of the game.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

I found the construct 3 exercise to be very fun and had A great time working on my project, exploring and seeing what the engine was capable of.